Black Swan Arts Open 2019
Currently Open - Entry Closes Saturday 14th September 2019
Deadline for entries: 13 September
Exhibition: 18 October – 16 November
Prizegiving: Thursday 17 October, 6-7pm
Artists Preview: Thursday 17 October, 7.30-9pm
Long Gallery, Black Swan Arts
Technical support: firstname.lastname@example.org
The prestigious Black Swan Arts Open is an annual competition that welcomes entries of original works from established practitioners and emerging artists of all professions and disciplines. Work can be submitted in any medium and in almost any size – from painting, drawing and printmaking to photography, sculpture and ceramics.
This year’s judging panel includes; Robert Devereux (former chair of Frieze), Katharine Fry (winner of the Black Swan Arts First Prize 2017), Luke Jerram (artist), Elly Hawley (Director of Hauser & Wirth Somerset) and Sandra Porter RWA (artist).
The many prizes include the first prize of £1000 supported by Hauser & Wirth Somerset, the Sue Conrad Prize of £1000 for work on paper, Lyndy Pelley £500 prize for an artist under the age of 30 years and the Black Swan Arts prize of a solo show.
In 2018, the Black Swan Arts Open attracted over 900 entries from almost 500 artists. We have built an impressive reputation for attracting some of the best artists from the South West, with our expert judges selecting diverse and innovative pieces and championing artistic excellence. The successful entries will be on show at Black Swan Arts in the Long Gallery.
Open 2019 Judges
Benefits of entering
- Have your work seen by hundreds of visitors
- Be assessed by a group of highly qualified judges
- An excellent place to sell your work
- Possibility of winning prestigious prizes
- Raise your profile through a wide variety of media coverage
- Have provenance added to your artwork
This year’s prizes have been donated by a remarkable range of generous sponsors. They include:
- Hauser and Wirth Somerset prize – £1000
- Sue Conrad prize for works on paper – £1000
- Lynda Pelly prize for an artist under the age of 30 years – £500
- Black Swan Arts, Programming Group prize – solo exhibition
- Kobi & Teal prize – solo exhibition
- local artist prize – meal & solo exhibition, sponsored by Bistro Lotte
- photography prize – £200 framing at Mount Art
- 3d artist prize – £100 of artists materials From Postscript
- Black Swan Friends prize – lifetime membership, selected by Friends
- Black Swan Guild prize – 12 months membership, selected by Guild
- people’s choice award – £250, sponsored by Forward Space
See the winners of the 2018 Art Open prizes and the pieces which they were awarded for.