Please read these Guidelines carefully as there is a two-stage application process for selection to membership of the Guild.
You are eligible to apply to become a member of the Guild if you are an Arts Practitioner:
- living and working in the UK, in any discipline actively producing work for exhibition and/or sale.
- producing high-quality work and demonstrating a high level of skill in your chosen area/field/medium.
- willing to engage in the running of the Guild and contribute positively to its success.
- committed to the Black Swan Arts ethos and prepared to support the Black Swan Arts mission statement.
- Complete the online application, making sure before you start that you have easy access to information about yourself, your work, up to six images and your credit card.
- The pictures should show your work off to their best advantage and be good quality JPEGs (300 dpi – maximum 1 MB per image).
- The application will only be complete when the non-refundable administration fee of £20 has been paid.
- Do NOT send any additional materials unless specifically asked to do so by the Black Swan Guild Selection Panel.
- The Black Swan Guild Selection Panel will assess the work online for artists to progress to Stage 2.
- If your work is short-listed to go forward to Stage 2 or you are unsuccessful at this stage, you will be sent an email.
- Those successful at Stage 1 will need to bring work to the Round Tower at Black Swan Arts for consideration by the Selection Panel.
- Successful applicants will be the foundation members of the Black Swan Arts Guild.
- All artwork/s presented at Stage 2 must be the same as submitted online in Stage 1, as chosen by the Selectors. No substitution can be made. If these terms are not met, Black Swan Arts retains the right to disqualify the application without refunding the submitter.
- No more than four pieces of work can be presented.
- Work should be delivered in a form that represents how it would be presented for exhibition or sale and must be clearly and securely labelled.
- Only the Selectors will choose the Members of the Guild. Their decision is final.
- The Black Swan Guild does not give individual feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
- All applicants for Guild membership, both successful and unsuccessful, will be notified by email.
- If you are unsuccessful at any stage of the application process you are welcome to apply again in the future. Application dates will be publicised on the Black Swan Arts website.
- The gallery will promote the Black Swan Arts Guild and its members within its programme of events via:
- the Black Swan Arts website
- Social media
- monthly entries in appropriate listings magazines
- press releases to local media
- posters throughout the building and other relevant sites
- The Guild Members agree that images supplied can be used by Black Swan Arts in printed and electronic media and press releases and that these images may be reduced, enlarged or slightly cropped to suit promotional purposes if required.
- Black Swan Arts will not share personal information with third parties. However, we will include in our regular mailings, unless you choose to unsubscribe. We will always keep you informed about future competitions.
The Selection Panel is made up of professional artists working in a variety of media/fields. The panel will be looking for:
- Quality – high level of skill, appropriate and sensitive use of materials, finished work (not ‘in process’).
- Originality – a strong creative voice, a coherent body of work, aesthetic development.
- Mastery of materials, techniques and processes – irrespective of medium.